India is soon going to be a superpower, right? WRONG!
Here are the reasons why —
- In the world’s largest democracy the religious fanatics have the full right to speech and protest, but the most famous Indian writers and artists don’t even have the basic right to security, let alone the freedom of expression.
- India is a secular nation. Only the people who follow a religion have the right to express their views and defend it. Atheists should just shut up and leave the country. And when you’ll die, our media will mourn your death and short films on your life will be featured in our film festivals as a tribute to your contribution to our culture and heritage.
- In a country where women are worshiped as the goddess shakti, infant girls are buried alive and teenage girls are taught to tolerate molestation rather than fight against it.
- India now has enough nuclear arsenal to destroy Pakistan and China, but it has failed to deter rapists, molesters and eve teasers from making the national capital one of the most unsafe cities for women in the world.
- India’s economy is the second fastest growing economy in the world. It has enough resilience to survive a global economic crisis and recessions but it still expects it’s people to survive at Rs. 32 a day ($1=Rs.50).
- In the land of Kama Sutra, a boy and a girl holding hands is a sin. But in the same nation, porn stars become movie stars and dirty pictures are a hit.
- Indian people are very traditional. They believe in preserving centuries-old customs of dowry, pardah and celibacy before marriage. They conveniently forget the time when women were empowered and people celebrated their sexuality; the time when India was a golden bird.
- Contemporary Indian culture is all about promoting khadi and opposing Valentine’s Day, while shopping from Chanel and getting an MBA degree (which is an American invention) to settle down in some first world country.
- India will soon be a superpower, where it’s police, politicians and intellectuals believe that women are raped because they wear western, provocative dresses. Most of the rapes in India happen with Dalit women who barely have the money to wear a tattered saree—a short skirt is not even a distant dream.
- India is a nation where politicians build parks and statues while their people starve, and the most famous Gandhian of the 21st century talks about flogging people in the streets.